Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Career Goals essay that is gonna change all other career goals essay.

That's what the Stan essay is doing to me now. I really have never been forced to dig so deep into my career goals. I now realize that i have so many stronger stuff to say which i might have to add to the career goals essay of the other school. The Career goals have not changed a bit (is that even possible???) but i need to add more stuff.

I reworked on the Career goals essay of Stanford and have modified content in the first one and a half pages i created yesterday. I feel they are stronger now and, as they say, tighter!!! I have explained the goals and justified the shift in Industry (i really like this bit). Now i have to justify these goals, which would come in between the "goals" and "shift" portion of the essay. Then i go to write the why Stanford bit. I am wondering whether this is gonna go more than 3 pages. I am trying really hard to keep it within limits. I really want to finish the entire Stan essay within the 11 page limit they have mentioned.

I am all the more worried abt the word limits in the other essays now. HBS, for example, has a career goals essay which has a 400 word limit :( Since i am planning to rework on all the career goals essay, this would be like shrinking a 1500 word long essay into a 400 word one. It is gonna be fun :) Kellogg gives 2 pages for Career progress + Future Goals, while Wharton gives 1000 words, Chicago asks for everything in 1500 words and Columbia gives 1000 words just for this. Gonna be one heck of a ride writing all these essays.

Now, i agree that the schools are significantly different - but my goals can never change from one school to the other :) But the amount of clarity i now have, i dint have that some 3 essays ago. Even if i had started with the Stanford essays, it would have taken me the same 4 essays to reach where i am today :)

Tomorrow is the month end and i guess i will be done with this essay tomorrow. As the weekend nears, i have work ready for the weekend - re work on all the Career essays and finish the ethics essay of Harvard. Heck, I am in a mood to write, but i got to attend a marriage tomorrow morning and hence cannot continue. I will write for just some more time, try to finish the "why goals" part and then shut shop for the day. Catch ya'll later tomorrow with more update. Ciao...

No comments: